Welcome to Lemao’s Homepage
I am currently a principal researcher at Tencent AI Lab, working on (human-machine interactive) machine translation, parsing, natural language processing and their related topics. I am a member of LAT group and you can reach me through NAME at gmail dot com (NAME=lemaoliu).
More about me
I am from Yugan in Jiangxi Provice, which is a small yet beautiful county near Poyang Lake, the largest freshwater lake in China. I earned my Ph.D. degree at Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT) in Oct. 2013, under the instructions of Prof. Tiejun Zhao at HIT and Dr. Taro Watanabe at NICT. After that, I was a postdoc researcher at the City University of New York, working with Prof. Liang Huang; and then I was a researcher at NICT Japan between Sept. 2014 and March 2017.
- 10/2022: Four papers accepted by EMNLP 2022.
- 06/2022: Area Chair at EMNLP 2022.
- 04/2022: Area Chair at NLPCC 2022.
- 03/2022: Tutorials accepted by IJCAI 2022 and SIGIR 2022.
- 02/2022: Five papers accepted by ACL 2022 and one paper by NAACL 2022.
- 11/2021: Four papers accepted by EMNLP 2021.
- 07/2021: Outstanding Paper Award at ACL 2021.
- 05/2021: Seven papers accepted by ACL 2021.
- 07/2020: Best Demo Award at CCL 2020.
- 04/2020: Two papers accepted by ACL 2020.
- 02/2020: One paper accepted by JAIR.
I have some intern positions available at NLP center, Tencent AI Lab. If you have any interests, welcome to drop me an email.
- Area Chair (or SPC): IJCAI 2021, EMNLP 2022.
- Session Chairs: IJCAI 2019, ACL 2021.
- Publication Chair: Findings of EMNLP 2020.
- Standing Reviewers: Computational Linguistics, Transaction of ACL.
For full publication list, please check publication page, where related resources (data and codes) are available for some papers.
Lingfeng Shen, Lemao Liu, Haiyun Jiang and Shuming Shi. On the Evaluation Metrics for Paraphrase Generation. Proceedings of EMNLP 2022. [code]
Deng Cai, Yan Wang, Huayang Li, Wai Lam and Lemao Liu. Neural Machine Translation with Monolingual Translation Memory. Proceedings of ACL 2021. (Outstanding Paper Award) [code]
Jierui Li, Lemao Liu, Huayang Li, Guanlin Li, Guoping Huang and Shuming Shi. Evaluating Explanation Methods for Neural Machine Translation. Proceedings of ACL 2020.
Xintong Li, Guanlin Li, Lemao Liu, Max Meng and Shuming Shi. On the Word Alignment from Neural Machine Translation. Proceedings of ACL 2019.
Lemao Liu, Masao Utiyama, Andrew Finch, Eiichiro Sumita. Neural Machine Translation with Supervised Attention. In Proceedings of COLING 2016. [paper]
Lemao Liu, Liang Huang. Search-aware Tuning for Machine Translation. In Proceedings of EMNLP 2014. [paper]
Lemao Liu, Taro Watanabe, Eiichiro Sumita, Tiejun Zhao. Additive Neural Networks for Statistical Machine Translation. In Proceedings of ACL 2013. [paper]
Lemao Liu, Hailong Cao, Taro Watanabe, Tiejun Zhao, Mo Yu, Conghui Zhu. Locally Training the Log-linear Model for SMT. In Proceedings of EMNLP-CoNLL 2012. [paper]
It is my pleasure and great honor to work with the following smart students.
- Xueliang Zhao (Tencent Rhino-Bird Scholar, master student at Peking, 08/2021 - )
- Hongkun Hao (Undergraduate at Shanghai Jiaotong Univ., 12/2021)
- Wei Shao (CityU of HK, 12/2021 - )
- Yubin Ruan (M.S. at HIT, 06/2021 - 02/2022, 1 NAACL)
- Jiahao Xu (Phd student at NTU, 08/2021 - 02/2022, 1 NAACL)
- Yanling Xiao (Co-advised with Guoping, master student at Nanjing Univ., 07/2020 - 02/2022, 1 ACL)
- Yibin Liu (engineering intern, master student at Peking Shenzhen, 11/2020 - 02/2022, 1 EMNLP)
- Qiuxiang He (Co-advised with Guoping, Southwest Univ., 07/2020 - 12/2021, 1 ACL)
- Jiannan Xiang (master student at USTC, 05/2020 - 2021/09, now master at CMU 3 ACL)
- Zexin Lu (Tencent Rhino-Bird Scholar, phd student at Poly HK, 05/2021 - 12/2021, 1 ACL)
- Guanlin Li (phd student at HIT, 12/2017 - 2021/02, 2 ACL + 1 EMNLP + 1 NAACL + 2 TASLP)
- Zhangming Chan (Tencent Rhino-Bird Scholar, master from Peking Univ., 05/2020 - 2021/01, 1 ACL)
- Jing Qian (phd student at UCSB, 06/2020 - 09/2020, 1 EMNLP)
- Honglin Han (engineering intern, undergraduate student at HIT, 04/2020 - 09/2020)
- Jierui Li (undergraduate student at UESTC, now phd student at UT Austin, 11/2019 - 06/2020, 1 ACL)
- Runze Nie (engineering intern, graduate student at Univ. Melbourne, 12/2019 - 03/2020)
- Tianxiang Zhao (Co-advised with Guoping, graduate student at USTC, 01/2019 - 06/2019; now phd student at PSU, 1 AAAI)
- Qian Wang (Co-advised with Guoping, master student at IA CAS, 07/2018 - 12/2019, 1 AACL)
- Xintong Li (phd student at CUHK, 07/2017 - 05/2019; now senior researcher at Baidu Sunnyvale, 2 ACL + 2 NAACL + 1 TASLP)
- Mengzhou Xia (Co-advised with Guoping, undergraduate student at Fudan, 04/2018 - 08/2018; now phd student at Princeton, 1 AAAI)
- Huayang Li (Co-adivsed with Guoping, undergraduate student at Central China Normal Univ., 07/2017 - 05/2018; now master at NAIST, 1 TASLP)
- Yu Liu (phd student at HIT, 04/2018 - 11/2018)
- Lianhui Qin (graduate student at SHJT, 07/2017 - 09/2017; now phd student at UW, 1 ACL)
- Kehai Chen (phd student at HIT, 10/2017 - 03/2017; now Ass. Prof. at HIT, 2 EMNLP + 1 AAAI + 2 TASLP)
- Chunpeng Ma (phd student at HIT, 10/2015 - 03/2016; Now researcher at Fujitsu., 1 AAAI)
- Conghui Zhu (Tencent Rhino-Bird Visiting Prof. from HIT, 06/2019 - 01/2020)
- Eiichiro Sumita, Masao Utiyama, Andrew Finch, Akihiro Tamura, Atsushi Fujita, Rui Wang, Kehai Chen, Xugang Lu, Peng Shen, Guoping Huang, Shuming Shi etc.